Monday, October 15, 2012

Crust-less Apple Pie

You know how everyone wishes Pinterest had a "Did This" button?  I think I even saw an ecard about it once.  Well, I accomplished this pin, and here's how:

Sunday night was dinner date night with our good newlywed friends B & H.  (You may remember my post about their wedding a few weeks ago, you can find that here.)

H makes a fabulous lasagna, that my husband adores, and apparently had asked for last week (when they had just returned from their honeymoon).  (Note: when I make lasagna, it comes from a box.)  She also makes a wonderful bread, which left me with salad and dessert.

Since I love apples and cooking in the crockpot, I thought these apples were just the ticket.  The link above is to the original source, but  I altered it slightly so here's my recipe:

What you'll need
6 Gala Apples
1/2 cup Apple Juice
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Apple Pie Spice 
2 T. margarine
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. Set crockpot to high.
2. Core your apples.  I bought an apple corer today at Wal-Mart.  It's fantastic, and you can find them in the utensils section or on random aisles in groceries.
3. In medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, spice, margarine, and nuts.  I had to mash up the margarine with my spoon first, then stir it together.

So far you'll have this

4. Put the apples in the crock pot, then fill them with sugar mixture.  I started filling lightly, to make sure I had enough for all the apples.  Then I packed it down with my finger (you might want to use something else, but this worked great for me), and added more.

5. Pour apple juice in bottom.

Looks good huh?
6. My favorite step: Cover and cook for 2.5 hours.  (I used this time to catch up on football, clean the sofa & chair, do the dishes, work on schoolwork, and the first half of this blog.)  The original pinner said to cook for 3 hours, or until the apples started to collapse on themselves.  My apples were falling apart when checked in at 2.5, so I flipped it to keep warm.  I didn't take a picture when they were finished, because we were eating them.  Sorry!

I served these tasty treats with vanilla ice cream, because, let's be honest, nothing beats Apple Pie a'la Mode.  We also drizzled warmed up caramel on them, which was awesome.

Some notes:
1. These don't look very appealing when you cook them.  The turn super dark (almost like rotten apples), and I picked them up with a spoon.
2. Omit the nuts.  Really, you could just add more brown sugar & butter.  I like nuts and so does H, but B & D didn't care for them, and they were kind of distracting.

Have you completed something you are proud of on Pinterest?  If so, what?

No comments:

Post a Comment