Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Grief Stinks

I have been a little overwhelmed lately, dealing with not one but two funerals since Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I am no stranger to frequent funerals, and graciously have been taught how to cope.

For instance, I know the legalities of formulating a will, and the steps taken to prepare a house for a tremendous amount of food brought by caring hands. At my Uncle's funeral, we were led in singing "How Great Thou Art." My husband had never heard it. I knew it by heart. And the Psalm about being led through the valley of the shadow of death? Yeah. I know that by heart too. My husband has been to 4 funerals ever (including the 2 I'm recovering from); there was a time in my life that I went to 4 in a month. My family is amazing, and we have always been able to pull together to get through.

So I know too much about grief, and thought I needed to express something.

I thought I would share a few quotes that have gotten me through the sadness.

From Pinterest: "Strength does not come from doing what you can, it comes from doing what you thought you cannot." Believe me, when you are grieving, you CAN continue to complete all of your every day tasks, you just may not remember how you did, and you may have to ask for help sometimes.

From a former student: Psalm 34:18 says "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit."

And again from Pinterest, but also biblical: Psalm 61:2 "when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."

Now, I realize that there are 2 Bible verses here, and many who know me know I haven't been to church in years, but they comfort me. My grandma would be proud to know that the words there do make you feel better.

If you are grieving, my heart is with you. And so are my listening ears. Just send me a message.

2 comments:

  1. We have an amazing family. I hope the Lord will comfort all of us, but especially your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni, I definitely agree. I know we are all trying to keep up the Christmas Spirit, but it's hard considering the circumstances. The funeral for the girl killed in the car accident is tomorrow, so keep praying for folks in Amelia!

    ReplyDelete