Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Musings

Today, as I am spending time on the couch, watching CNN's election coverage (and Comedy Central while the Daily Show and Colbert shows were on), I can't help but think about the great honor bestowed on us all today.

I was able to get up and drive to my polling place today, wait in a line of al of 3 people, and cast my vote for the President, US Senate, US Congress, and VA Constitutional Amendments (and buy brownies from the bake sale happening at the church I vote at).

Just 100 years ago, I would have been in eligible to vote. Women fought hard for my right to do so, and I, and all women, are indebted to those who stood up for what they believed in. These women were scorned, imprisoned, and in many cases turned out by their families.

I also am thinking about the dedication some people must have in order to vote. My supervisor, who lives in an urban neighborhood nearby, spent 3.5 hours today waiting in line to cast her ballot, at 10:30 AM. Luckily, the school she votes at was able to set up their lines in a manner that allowed her it stand inside the whole time. I am sure many people are having to stand outside in the cold and wind to get in the building to vote. This shows such great pride in the privilege we have in voting, and it is very moving to me.

The final thing that weighs heavily on my mind is the fact that so many nations deny this experience to their citizens, or, if they have democracies, create such frustratingly corrupt systems that no one citizen's vote actually matters. I just hope that, regardless of tonight's election results, the president-elect helps keep our country the land of the free, the home of the brave, and a nation that cares about humanity.

On a less serious note: I am also thinking about how tomorrow's Facebook post on thankfulness may likely reflect being thankful that the political ads are over.

I leave you now, with only 1 hour and 40 minutes left until closing of the first polling places, with these questions:

Did you vote? Did it take you a few minutes or hours? What are you looking forward to in the next 4 years?

2 comments:

  1. When I was leaving my polling place a veteran who looked about my dad's age (Vietname-era) thanked me for voting. I thanked him for protecting my right to do so. Then I ran to my car so that I could be all misty-eyed in private.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I would have bawled! I got teary just reading your comment!

      Btw: your bunting is adorable. I can't wait to see your other Christmas Crafts!

      Delete